bmxboard

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» bmxboard   » I Ride A Little Bike   » What do you do with old bike stuff?

Author Topic: What do you do with old bike stuff?
D
rider
Member # 2418

- posted 11-28-2017 12:10 PM      Profile for D           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And what's a "normal" amount to have? It seems like every 9 months or so, I sell off a ton of stuff at bmxmuseum, but there's still a bunch of old shit that I either want to keep for aesthetics, nostalgia, variety, or because I think I might ride some of it again. After 29 years even a modest amount of extra stuff can really start to build up. So tell me, do you guys keep a lot of old stuff, and what do you do with it if you do? I can't decide whether this is an honest catalog of a lifetime spent riding, or the actions of a hoarder...

[ 11-28-2017, 12:11 PM: Message edited by: D ]

alaskan
rider
Member # 9911

- posted 11-28-2017 12:35 PM      Profile for alaskan   Author's Homepage   Email alaskan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i've got a pretty shameful crawlspace...
BKFBM
rider
Member # 33

- posted 11-28-2017 12:47 PM      Profile for BKFBM   Email BKFBM         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
sell it or toss it. even though i make the majority of my money by buying & selling pieces of nostalgia, there isn't a ton of old bmx shit i feel like hanging onto - especially parts-wise.
TXrider
rider
Member # 8044

- posted 11-28-2017 01:47 PM      Profile for TXrider   Author's Homepage   Email TXrider         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Usually give usable parts to someone that could use them. I use Secret Santa to clear shit out some years.
Ruteger
rider
Member # 13774

- posted 11-28-2017 02:31 PM      Profile for Ruteger   Email Ruteger         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i would keep certain old frames but not sure I would hang on to stuff beyond that.
that being said, theres a big pile o shit in the barn at my old mans place that I should scrap...

Bmxer 2025
rider
Member # 1724

- posted 11-28-2017 05:12 PM      Profile for Bmxer 2025   Email Bmxer 2025         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Give it to Schnell.
outsiderbmx
rider
Member # 9020

- posted 11-28-2017 08:20 PM      Profile for outsiderbmx   Author's Homepage   Email outsiderbmx         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a 'bike room' so Im probably no help here.
rusty
rider
Member # 3320

- posted 11-28-2017 10:24 PM      Profile for rusty           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I always gave away...or threw away. I have no old parts of any kind laying around my house, which now seems kind of sad but I never thought I would be nostalgic for bike parts 20 years ago.
ne'er do well
rider
Member # 9718

- posted 11-28-2017 11:57 PM      Profile for ne'er do well           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I sold off a couple frames, but parts have always been given away on an as need basis. I currently have a stash of skate/bmx parts in my trunk for giving if someone needs it.
possenier
rider
Member # 634

- posted 11-29-2017 02:53 AM      Profile for possenier   Author's Homepage   Email possenier         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
frames go on the wall in the living. lot's of stuff i give away. but this topic is about what is left over.
i put it all in the cardboard box of my washing machine in the cellar. and once that was full, i put another big box on top to fill. and another box.

for peace of mind, i try not to think about it to much :-)

vestige toy
rider
Member # 8658

- posted 11-29-2017 07:43 AM      Profile for vestige toy   Email vestige toy         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hook up lil mufuckas. i saved a few special things over the years tho.
sXebmx
rider
Member # 664

- posted 11-29-2017 07:53 AM      Profile for sXebmx   Email sXebmx         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We purge stuff once every few months, bike stuff and just stuff in general. I also have my own room for bike shit, but it gets overwhelmed really fucking fast with random stuff. Usually good for a contractor garbage bag of stuff every two months... Although I have 3 MTB frames(all cracked somewhere) just sitting around which I refuse to purge for some reason and 1 BMXBoard frame that will probably never get built.
poopface
rider
Member # 8780

- posted 11-29-2017 04:48 PM      Profile for poopface           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I try to give it away. If I don't need it and someone else does then they can just have it.
commiebiker
rider
Member # 2861

- posted 11-29-2017 06:14 PM      Profile for commiebiker   Email commiebiker         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A couple years back I posted on here to get rid of my stuff that I had been holding onto.

About a week later some handsome devil came by and picked it up and hauled it away as I cried.

gnfr
rider
Member # 509

- posted 11-29-2017 08:47 PM      Profile for gnfr   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i hardly ever have any. i don't chase the new new and i tend not to buy or accept unproven products. outside of a few mementos, everything either ends up in the trash or the scrapyard. my biggest problem is storing my stockpiles of new bike stuff, since i tend to hoard what i like in anticipation of it being discontinued.
fabolous
rider
Member # 8680

- posted 11-30-2017 09:00 AM      Profile for fabolous   Author's Homepage   Email fabolous         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm with GNFR. I'm still riding a F-it Series 3 for fucks sake. There isn't a part on my bike that isn't at least 5 years old other than tires and seat.
I have 1 extra set of bars thanks to a board member and a set of mcneal pegs and a sealed gyro in my tool box.
other than that...I ain't got shit anymore. Wish I did still have some though.

McPiffle
rider
Member # 213

- posted 11-30-2017 10:59 AM      Profile for McPiffle   Author's Homepage   Email McPiffle         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by gnfr:
my biggest problem is storing my stockpiles of new bike stuff, since i tend to hoard what i like in anticipation of it being discontinued.

hahaha, i saw another kelly green fairdale weekender pop up for sale and seriously considered buying it as a backup, because when am i going to find another one???
The_Trail_Pimp
rider
Member # 343

- posted 11-30-2017 03:42 PM      Profile for The_Trail_Pimp   Author's Homepage   Email The_Trail_Pimp         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Most of my stuff is too fucked to ride or keep. What isn't though I've given away to young kids (who then sell it later fucking twats).

I keep some shit around now that I have a welder just to practice on. I have a few frames that homies gave to me that I have hanging in my garage though.

bmxwar
rider
Member # 9229

- posted 11-30-2017 04:52 PM      Profile for bmxwar   Email bmxwar         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I give my parts to whoever needs them or if I feel like it will help a younger kid stick with it to not have to work on his bike all the time. When I give someone something, I tell them it's a loaner part and that when they get something new, that I want it back so that I can give it to someone else. I have enough stuff for two whole bikes plus the parts i have floating around that will make their way back eventually.
EarlyNovemberBMX
rider
Member # 7304

- posted 12-01-2017 06:59 PM      Profile for EarlyNovemberBMX   Email EarlyNovemberBMX         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
With very few exceptions, I give all my old shit away. I have enough clutter as it is
Jacky B4L
rider
Member # 24758

- posted 12-02-2017 01:02 AM      Profile for Jacky B4L           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I horded it all for years, then finally gave it all away a few years ago. All I have left is an old dirt bike and an XS six shooter stem.
Serb
rider
Member # 7215

- posted 12-02-2017 05:58 AM      Profile for Serb           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by alaskan:
i've got a pretty shameful crawlspace...

I imagine dead squirrels that you shot, Russian propaganda pamphlets and cum socks being all mixed together.

I keep a tote in the garage and randomly purge via online sale or secret Santa type events.

primomike234
rider
Member # 6602

- posted 12-04-2017 11:21 AM      Profile for primomike234   Author's Homepage   Email primomike234         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bike parts in closets, tiny T-1 bars on display.
D
rider
Member # 2418

- posted 12-05-2017 01:37 PM      Profile for D           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I will say though that out of everything I've ever sold, which is a lot, there's only a handful of things I wish I had kept. Some of my 90's frames mostly, all of which were either sold to finance a new frame, destroyed, or stolen. I've been riding since 1988, but I have almost no parts dating back to 1999 still.
no_future
rider
Member # 8384

- posted 12-06-2017 06:21 PM      Profile for no_future   Email no_future         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by McPiffle:
quote:
Originally posted by gnfr:
my biggest problem is storing my stockpiles of new bike stuff, since i tend to hoard what i like in anticipation of it being discontinued.

hahaha, i saw another kelly green fairdale weekender pop up for sale and seriously considered buying it as a backup, because when am i going to find another one???
https://store.fairdalebikes.com/collections/fairdale-frame-fork-kits/products/2014-weekender-og-frame

only $200...

fuck
rider
Member # 7724

- posted 12-07-2017 05:46 PM      Profile for fuck   Email fuck         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Every old part I have is completely obsolete these days and is therefore sitting in a bin waiting to go to the scrap yard.
TEAMSANO
rider
Member # 11155

- posted 12-10-2017 04:47 AM      Profile for TEAMSANO           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
all my old parts are on my bike..
McPiffle
rider
Member # 213

- posted 12-12-2017 12:11 AM      Profile for McPiffle   Author's Homepage   Email McPiffle         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by no_future:
only $200...

well yeah, if you want a size small.
D
rider
Member # 2418

- posted 12-12-2017 03:21 PM      Profile for D           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I constantly go back and forth with wanting a few semi vintage bikes to look at and maybe ride, to the stark realization that in 30 years of BMX, the times I HAVE had more than one bike specific to each thing (ramps/street or flat), I'd only just ride the one I liked the best anyway. Even if I had the space (I don't) it would seem weird picking out a bike out of the garage (I don't have a garage) out of many, like a sand wedge or something.

But I can't to bring myself to sell those Low Drags, because they are cool, and the Strip Bars, because I was in the magazine with them once, and the Nankai hub, because I need a spare, and and and.....

[ 12-12-2017, 03:22 PM: Message edited by: D ]

no_future
rider
Member # 8384

- posted 12-12-2017 11:06 PM      Profile for no_future   Email no_future         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
im a hoarder, currently have 6 complete bmx bikes, 5 more frames, and a bunch of old parts. it is a problem. but not that much of a problem.
D
rider
Member # 2418

- posted 12-13-2017 10:09 AM      Profile for D           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It used to be a lot easier. For the first 10 years I rode, I was so young, so poor, rode so much, and parts were made so much more poorly than now, anytime I replaced anything, it was because the old thing it was replacing was usually destroyed, so nothing was ever laying around, almost ever. Ever have a brake caliper snap in half? I did on my old Dyno in 1989. I went through so many pairs of 1 piece cranks, ovalized/dented rims, bent forks, bars, seatposts, seats, tires with exploded/ground out sidewalls, I ground so many levers into dust learning flatland tricks...being old now if I want something new I'll usually just buy it, and once a week or less sessions put so much less mileage on the bikes. It was funny, back then everyone's bikes were chrome/black or something else neutral, because anything color coordinated wouldn't be in a few months when things started breaking again. I love this repro of an old Mat Hoffman bike, such a mishmash of former sponsor parts, whatever Mat liked and bought on his own at the time, ands stuff replaced piecemeal as various stuff broke. http://bmxmuseum.com/bikes/se_racing/67930
McPiffle
rider
Member # 213

- posted 12-13-2017 09:32 PM      Profile for McPiffle   Author's Homepage   Email McPiffle         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by D:
I love this repro of an old Mat Hoffman bike, such a mishmash of former sponsor parts, whatever Mat liked and bought on his own at the time, ands stuff replaced piecemeal as various stuff broke. http://bmxmuseum.com/bikes/se_racing/67930

that is so cool! any magazine scans around for reference?

All times are CT (US)  
Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | bmxboard