bmxboard

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» bmxboard   » The other stuff   » expencive fruit

Author Topic: expencive fruit
possenier
rider
Member # 634

- posted 09-13-2017 10:55 AM      Profile for possenier   Author's Homepage   Email possenier         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
so, the new model X 256gb is going to cost 1329€ or 1579.92 US Dollar here in belgium.
i searched just for fun a 2nd hand car site here, and i have a choice of 72 convertible car's that cost less than this.

every year i wonder what the upper limit is for a phone, and every year that limit gets raised with a lot.

i refuse to pay more than 200€ for a phone (i always buy off contract) and my last one lasted me 5 years.

so, what do you think is to much?

McPiffle
rider
Member # 213

- posted 09-13-2017 11:45 AM      Profile for McPiffle   Author's Homepage   Email McPiffle         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i finance it the whatever it is $25 or $50 per month and upgrade without guilt. it's totally worth it to me to have the best camera possible in my pocket at all times. i don't even think about what the real price is.

if i can get the x for about what i'm already paying, i might do it. i do really love my iphone se though.

fabolous
rider
Member # 8680

- posted 09-13-2017 11:45 AM      Profile for fabolous   Author's Homepage   Email fabolous         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is no limit. It's a free market and people will pay whatever is charged. Also, if you think about how much that "phone" can do, it's amazing.
I want to go down to a flip phone, but can't. I enjoy having the full camera/video machine in my pocket. It's great for documenting my kids life, and that's the main reason I keep it.
I hate how reliant I am at times on it...but just need to exercise some self discipline/restraint, which I'm horrible at most times.
Also, in comparison(without inflation) to how much just a PHONE cost when cell phones first emerged, it's really not that much.

fabolous
rider
Member # 8680

- posted 09-13-2017 11:49 AM      Profile for fabolous   Author's Homepage   Email fabolous         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
First cell phone was $4,000
it ONLY made calls.
$1,500 is a steal.

the lobster messiah
rider
Member # 9113

- posted 09-13-2017 12:47 PM      Profile for the lobster messiah   Email the lobster messiah         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
$1000 for a crazy ass piece of technology (like it or not, it's undeniable how advanced the technology has become and how rapidly)

$1500 for a bed. Granted, economies of scale, but that matters not to the end consumer. Little wood, little metal, lots of hard American work: https://www.roomandboard.com/catalog/bedroom/beds/bennett-bed

Adjusted for inflation, $1k isn't a ridiculous amount of money in this day and age. 260 working days in a year + a coffee and a donut for each of those days would cost the same amount.

*shrug*

[ 09-13-2017, 12:48 PM: Message edited by: the lobster messiah ]

possenier
rider
Member # 634

- posted 09-13-2017 01:11 PM      Profile for possenier   Author's Homepage   Email possenier         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
just for information,
i have no problem about what the price is, or people spending that much to buy it.
i'm typing this on a Alienware nerd laptop that is also something that will keep selling no matter how much dell would ask for it.

but just for me i can't justify paying so much if i can have a cell phone for 10% the price that does 90% of it just as good.

yes it's better for pictures than the phone i have, but i have a big Lowe pro backpack full with expensive Nikon gear that takes better pictures.
Yes it's a faster processor, but i don't care that i need to wait 1 second longer for google maps to load.

Apple is masters in figuring out every year what the price point is to gain maximum profit even with selling less products.

i just don't expect to see lines that big this year.

alaskan
rider
Member # 9911

- posted 09-13-2017 01:42 PM      Profile for alaskan   Author's Homepage   Email alaskan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
my flipphone is too complicated
kineticbmx
rider
Member # 8713

- posted 09-13-2017 07:21 PM      Profile for kineticbmx   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nothing is more final or more satisfying than slamming your flip phone shut after a heated conversation
TEAMSANO
rider
Member # 11155

- posted 09-15-2017 04:59 PM      Profile for TEAMSANO           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i have an SE too and theres nothing more i need in a phone.

criteria required-

1. decent battery life
2.good camera

phone contracts seem to be real expensive in the USA compared to UK tho.
i straight bought my fone for around £310UK i think, and my package is £20UK a month for unlimited internet and more calls and txts than id ever use. i recall friends in USA saying they were around $100US per month for 2GB packages!

outsiderbmx
rider
Member # 9020

- posted 09-15-2017 07:24 PM      Profile for outsiderbmx   Author's Homepage   Email outsiderbmx         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mine is $35 a month for 2G of data.

All memes must be made the first week of the month.

possenier
rider
Member # 634

- posted 09-16-2017 12:53 AM      Profile for possenier   Author's Homepage   Email possenier         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The SE does still seems the best choice if you want Apple.
The 8 compered to the 7 is Longer, wider, higher en heavier, has the exact same screen, less strong due to glass back and has a 7% smaller battery. Yet it's more expensive.

For comparison i have a 15€ prepaid contract with 4gb, and unlimited phone and txt in my network

McPiffle
rider
Member # 213

- posted 09-17-2017 01:11 AM      Profile for McPiffle   Author's Homepage   Email McPiffle         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by kineticbmx:
Nothing is more final or more satisfying than slamming your flip phone shut after a heated conversation

throwing your smart phone straight down at the sidewalk and watching it shatter into 1,000 pieces would be pretty satisfying.
kineticbmx
rider
Member # 8713

- posted 09-17-2017 05:16 PM      Profile for kineticbmx   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TEAMSANO:
i have an SE too and theres nothing more i need in a phone.

criteria required-

1. decent battery life
2.good camera

phone contracts seem to be real expensive in the USA compared to UK tho.
i straight bought my fone for around £310UK i think, and my package is £20UK a month for unlimited internet and more calls and txts than id ever use. i recall friends in USA saying they were around $100US per month for 2GB packages!

Yeah UK has much better low cost plans. Im with GiffGaff and pay about £20 for unlimited everything also. US plans are ridiuclous, and Australian ones also. down there you get ripped off on the data costs because the usage is inflated. You "get" 6GB, but really only get to about 4GB before "Oh yeah, you've kind of run out... we've automatically debited your card another $10 for another 500MB"

All times are CT (US)  
Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | bmxboard