bmxboard

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» bmxboard   » The other stuff   » Who runs?

Author Topic: Who runs?
SEX
rider
Member # 9175

- posted 11-25-2017 11:28 PM      Profile for SEX   Email SEX         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Been getting into running lately. Feels good. Mostly urban outings during the week (10-15kms) and longer trail runs on weekends (15-35kms).

I zone right out and get lost in thought. Completely forget that I'm running after the first 5kms. I guess running helps me reach a meditative state now that I think about it.

Anyway, who runs and what do you run? Know of any running/trail running brands that are exciting.

outsiderbmx
rider
Member # 9020

- posted 11-26-2017 07:04 AM      Profile for outsiderbmx   Author's Homepage   Email outsiderbmx         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Teamweed420?
D
rider
Member # 2418

- posted 11-26-2017 08:30 PM      Profile for D           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When the weather is nice I'll run on the trails in the park. Other than that I've been a dedicated treadmill runner for about 15 years now, 2-3 times a week. I run a 5 or 10k every now and then too, but nothing longer than that.
possenier
rider
Member # 634

- posted 11-27-2017 08:12 AM      Profile for possenier   Author's Homepage   Email possenier         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
30+ years of bmx'ing destroyed my ankle to much to handle running. i sometimes do 2km on the treadmill during other fitness things, but if i run 5km outdoors it hurts to much the day after.
Bmxer 2025
rider
Member # 1724

- posted 11-27-2017 12:40 PM      Profile for Bmxer 2025   Email Bmxer 2025         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anyone on strava? Add me @ Jeremy Krantz (Portland, OR)

I ran when I was in the Army but wasn’t super into it. Once I moved to the west coast last year I started getting into trail running pretty heavily. Been working on doing consistent mileage and slowly improving pace. Run about ~25 miles a week but I’ll be increasing that up week over week as I get ready for my first 50k race in February.

Planning on doing a couple trail 50ks next year, maybe a road half or full marathon and probably some obstacle course races.

[ 11-27-2017, 12:42 PM: Message edited by: Bmxer 2025 ]

Vlad
rider
Member # 355

- posted 11-27-2017 05:08 PM      Profile for Vlad   Email Vlad         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What could possibly be exciting about a running brand?
kineticbmx
rider
Member # 8713

- posted 11-27-2017 05:48 PM      Profile for kineticbmx   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My ankles are too fucked, if i run it sounds like fourth of july celebrations going off

I drive past people jogging at like, a snails fucking pace, covered in sweat and looking totally fucked and wonder why. I just don't get the sadistic pleasure that could come from it. They're probably gonna piss blood when they get home.

sd7915
rider
Member # 8297

- posted 11-28-2017 09:57 AM      Profile for sd7915   Email sd7915         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've actually thought about making this thread a few times recently...

I had run off and on for the last few years but started consistently this summer. I built up from a mile or two at a time around my neighborhood to running a 10k, then another 10k, then a half and just did my first full a couple of weeks ago.

I've been mixing in trails as much as possible over the last few months. First trail race is this weekend (37k). Planning on training for a 50k and eventually 50m next spring/summer. Also wanting to do a road trip to somewhere with some mountains/elevation asap.

It's been a blast. Trail running can definitely at times give me similar feelings to what riding did when I was younger. Being in the woods for an afternoon running yourself into the ground is really a great feeling.

Bmxer 2025
rider
Member # 1724

- posted 11-28-2017 12:21 PM      Profile for Bmxer 2025   Email Bmxer 2025         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sd7915:
I

I've been mixing in trails as much as possible over the last few months. First trail race is this weekend (37k). Planning on training for a 50k and eventually 50m next spring/summer. Also wanting to do a road trip to somewhere with some mountains/elevation asap.

It's been a blast. Trail running can definitely at times give me similar feelings to what riding did when I was younger. Being in the woods for an afternoon running yourself into the ground is really a great feeling.

Dope. I totally agree. The exploration piece is really awesome. Even though most end up power hiking up steep pitches, trail running is so much faster than regular hiking.

A running vest is a must if you don’t already have one. I have a Nathan VaporKrar 4L. It’s perfect for regular trail runs and races up to 50m probably. I throw some gels and bars in mine on longer efforts. During the summer, I can fit a camelback bladder in there too. For anything longer, especially where extra stuff like jackets or emergency blankets are required, a bigger pack/vest would be more suitable.

sd7915
rider
Member # 8297

- posted 11-28-2017 08:10 PM      Profile for sd7915   Email sd7915         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, I️ picked up the Salomon 12L vest last month. I’ve only used it on a couple of longer days so far but I’m digging it.

SEX: Sorry, I️ missed the question in your original post about brands...
-Salomon has a super strong YouTube channel dedicated to trail running that’s worth checking out. Only have personal experience with the vest mentioned above but so far so good.
-I️ run in Brooks Cascadias for trails and Levitates for road. Started with a pair of Glycerins back in July and they’ve worked for me so far.
-The other big ones to check out seem to be ASICS, New Balance, Saucony, Altra, Hoka and La Sportiva. I’m probably missing others.
-Billy Yang’s stuff on YouTube is awesome. Lots of great footage from most of the heavy American races and a super good doc on the Nike Team running the Mont Blanc races.
-Run Steep Get High sucks me in in spite of the vlogginess of it. The footage from Hardrock, Wasatch and the Barkleys is definitely worth it.
-Ginger Runner has a huge following but is pretty tough to watch for me most of the time... that said, the thing he did on Gary Robbins’ FKT on the Wonderland trail is awesome.

Strava = Adam Robertson in Denton

ne'er do well
rider
Member # 9718

- posted 11-29-2017 12:08 AM      Profile for ne'er do well           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ran some good xc in hs. Stayed on it a bit into my 20's, but yea I'm feeling the ankle thing. Been doing some some trail running/brisk hiking lately though. I enjoy reaching that zone, need to do more of it.
Bmxer 2025
rider
Member # 1724

- posted 11-29-2017 01:59 PM      Profile for Bmxer 2025   Email Bmxer 2025         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For shoes I wear Nike Kiger 4 for trails and Nike Zoom Elite 9 for roads. They are both real nice. I had a pair of Kiger 3s and was wearing them for both trails and road running. The treads got worn down pretty quick so now I'm strict about only wearing my trail shoes on trails/gravel. I can get Nike's at 50% so I have a hard time justifying anything else.

If I didn't get the Nike discount I'd probably be running on Solomon's or the Hoka One One Speedgoat 2.

The Run Steep Get High videos are pretty good but the dude has kind of disappeared recently

commiebiker
rider
Member # 2861

- posted 11-29-2017 06:12 PM      Profile for commiebiker   Email commiebiker         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Was gonna say that I run but after reading your posts, shit I'd consider what I do barely squirming. I run a mile or two about twice a week. Just around the neighborhood. I've done a few 5 and 10ks.
alaskan
rider
Member # 9911

- posted 11-29-2017 06:52 PM      Profile for alaskan   Author's Homepage   Email alaskan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*dog brake*
typoll69420
rider
Member # 9745

- posted 11-30-2017 07:55 AM      Profile for typoll69420   Email typoll69420         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by outsiderbmx:
Teamweed420?

420/420
SEX
rider
Member # 9175

- posted 12-08-2017 06:39 PM      Profile for SEX   Email SEX         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
By "exciting" brands I meant new and small start ups. Similar to Territory Run Co. They have marketed themselves really well. Kind of created this "I need to be included in all this brand is" feeling. I know it's sucked in a couple of people I know. They recently did this membership kind of thing. Runners Of The Wild they call it. It's basically them getting you to pay money to be in a Facebook group and connect with them. You get a members only bunch of clothes. They had some crazy expensive packages. Very well marketed and I presume they are doing well. Are "hipster"(I am using this term loosely here) runners a thing?

I really enjoy pushing my physical limits with running. Finding that zen zone and just hitting cruise control feels so amazing. Running trails that I mountain bike on is so much fun. Hitting downhill sections with a running flow and picking my way through rocks and roots is new and exciting. Long sweeping berms rule.

I run road and trail in Altra Instinct 3.5. Very nice shoe. Switching from Asics to Altras is the best thing I have done. The toe box on the Altras is genius. Maybe not genius but I'm fucking glad someone had the balls to do it. Embrace the space!

Gonna check out Run steep get high when I have a chance.

Bmxer 2025
rider
Member # 1724

- posted 12-09-2017 07:19 PM      Profile for Bmxer 2025   Email Bmxer 2025         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've heard of Territory Run Co. I think they are based here out of Portland. They do a sunrise run to this lookout point once a month.

I haven't bought anything yet but I like Ciele. https://cieleathletics.com Their hats look good. I'll probably pick one up this spring.

I always wear a hat when I run and the Nike Aerobill Trucker is really legit. https://www.nike.com/t/trail-aerobill-trucker-hat-qlyePl Super comfortable.

I can't decide if this stuff is wack or not but I kind a mug.
https://nnb.nyc

SEX
rider
Member # 9175

- posted 12-09-2017 07:43 PM      Profile for SEX   Email SEX         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've seen Ciele around. They look too similar to Supreme for me.

The Territory performance hats seem legit. Would maybe contemplate one if with shipping they weren't $80. Shits crazy.
I'll keep chugging in my free trucker hat I scored from a plumber mate.

FEDERAL 4130
rider
Member # 2067

- posted 12-14-2017 09:49 PM      Profile for FEDERAL 4130           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I run almost exclusively trails. I used Altra Superiors and love them. Zero drop and pretty good grip. Innov-8s (zero) for road and the gym. My goal is a 70k run here in April, but training through the NY winter (and with a headlamp) is brutal
sd7915
rider
Member # 8297

- posted 12-16-2017 12:12 AM      Profile for sd7915   Email sd7915         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I really need to try a pair of Altras. They support a bunch of stuff around here and seem like a pretty rad company. I guess my Converse All Stars and work shoes are both zero drop so maybe the transition wouldn't be so bad...
FEDERAL 4130
rider
Member # 2067

- posted 12-25-2017 07:52 PM      Profile for FEDERAL 4130           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sd7915:
I really need to try a pair of Altras. They support a bunch of stuff around here and seem like a pretty rad company. I guess my Converse All Stars and work shoes are both zero drop so maybe the transition wouldn't be so bad...

They have a lot of padding compared to many other shoes, so I feel like that makes them more forgiving
TXrider
rider
Member # 8044

- posted 12-26-2017 05:07 PM      Profile for TXrider   Author's Homepage   Email TXrider         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I try to get out with my dog for about 6 miles a week when the weather is decent. 100% neighborhood jogs. Haven't found any close trails.

Just have some run of the mill Asics. Replaced the insoles with some Wal-Mart gel insoles and they feel as good as new. Nike and other companies have cool designs imo, but Asics have always been comfortable on my fat hobbit feet.

Stoked on single bluetooth earbuds. It lets you hear traffic and shit around you while listening to music.

https://www.amazon.com/Stoon-Bluetooth-Headphones-Ultralight-Invisible/dp/B01M4RAEHD/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1514329424&sr=8-4&keywords=single+bluetooth+earbud

sd7915
rider
Member # 8297

- posted 01-12-2018 05:44 PM      Profile for sd7915   Email sd7915         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Picked up some Altra Lone Peaks this afternoon. I've been dealing with some lingering shin issues for the last couple of months and have recently read/heard of people resolving similar issues after making the switch. Fingers crossed with that.

I've also been on a pretty solid post-race low in motivation over the last month so I figured throwing some money at the problem might help a bit.

As far as plans for this year so far, I'm signed up for the Cross Timbers 26.2 in February and the Ouachita 50k (first ultra) in April. It's looking more and more likely that I'll end up dropping down to the half at Cross Timbers. Beyond those two, nothing concrete planned yet...

Jeremy, how's your leg?

Anybody else have any race/travel plans for 2018?

This fucking guy... https://www.runnersworld.com/ultra-marathon/ultra-runner-hides-in-port-a-potty

Haven't read the full feature they pulled this from but this guy is so rad. More sub 2:10 marathons since 2011 than the whole United States combined! https://deadspin.com/yuki-kawauchi-can-teach-you-how-to-run-1821725233

dooley
rider
Member # 7330

- posted 01-19-2018 07:48 AM      Profile for dooley   Author's Homepage   Email dooley         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
sometimes. got into it a few years back and did half, then fucked my achilles skating. started studying and got fat as fuck.

really wanna get back on it tho cos its super zen

the lobster messiah
rider
Member # 9113

- posted 01-19-2018 08:10 AM      Profile for the lobster messiah   Email the lobster messiah         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Signed up for this yesterday: https://www.redbull.com/us-en/tags/mountain-running

400m mountain sprint in da UP to go along with some adventuring. Hill training is gonna be a nightmare.

sd7915
rider
Member # 8297

- posted 01-19-2018 05:31 PM      Profile for sd7915   Email sd7915         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by the lobster messiah:
Signed up for this yesterday: https://www.redbull.com/us-en/tags/mountain-running

400m mountain sprint in da UP to go along with some adventuring. Hill training is gonna be a nightmare.

Jesus, that looks gnarly!

All times are CT (US)  
Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | bmxboard