bmxboard

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» bmxboard   » Skatepark   » 5ft mini ramp

Author Topic: 5ft mini ramp
outsiderbmx
rider
Member # 9020

- posted 05-22-2016 02:55 PM      Profile for outsiderbmx   Author's Homepage   Email outsiderbmx         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What is a good radius for a 5ft tall mini ramp?
outsiderbmx
rider
Member # 9020

- posted 05-22-2016 04:35 PM      Profile for outsiderbmx   Author's Homepage   Email outsiderbmx         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
nvm. It's 7'8" fyi.
alaskan
rider
Member # 9911

- posted 05-22-2016 04:36 PM      Profile for alaskan   Author's Homepage   Email alaskan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
pie

eater

outsiderbmx
rider
Member # 9020

- posted 05-24-2016 03:03 PM      Profile for outsiderbmx   Author's Homepage   Email outsiderbmx         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
#stmatthewsskatepark
possenier
rider
Member # 634

- posted 07-03-2016 03:49 PM      Profile for possenier   Author's Homepage   Email possenier         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hope i'm not to late:
http://bmxtrix.com/how_to/build_ramps/files/5feet.jpg

gnfr
rider
Member # 509

- posted 07-23-2016 08:26 PM      Profile for gnfr   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
5'
Serb
rider
Member # 7215

- posted 08-05-2016 10:39 PM      Profile for Serb           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Serb
rider
Member # 7215

- posted 08-05-2016 10:40 PM      Profile for Serb           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by outsiderbmx:
#stmatthewsskatepark

That shit ain't in American

Meant to quote pie eater

beers

[ 08-05-2016, 10:41 PM: Message edited by: Serb ]

outsiderbmx
rider
Member # 9020

- posted 08-06-2016 12:24 AM      Profile for outsiderbmx   Author's Homepage   Email outsiderbmx         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I need to do work this weekend...
outsiderbmx
rider
Member # 9020

- posted 12-15-2016 07:12 AM      Profile for outsiderbmx   Author's Homepage   Email outsiderbmx         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
done dick
outsiderbmx
rider
Member # 9020

- posted 01-05-2017 05:41 AM      Profile for outsiderbmx   Author's Homepage   Email outsiderbmx         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
sucks staring at a mini ramp skeleton in ur backyard. :/

It needs to be wider. 8 ft. isn't gonna cut it. I think I'm gonna make it 12 ft wide, maybe even 14 or 15. Corrigan posted that recently and I like the idea of the side templates being curved and slim instead of pie shaped pieces. That looks a lot more portable.

So I'm thinking the 8ft wide section I have now will be the core, then I'll have it extend out on both side a couple feet, maybe as much as 4ft. both ways for a total of 16 ft. I'm scared to make it any bigger than that because of the neighbors.

Also a skater kid walking down the train tracks saw it while I was sitting on the porch. He gave me a thumbs up. I gave him a shaka brah. Now I fear he's gonna tell the whole world.

possenier
rider
Member # 634

- posted 01-27-2017 12:56 PM      Profile for possenier   Author's Homepage   Email possenier         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
if you send me the size of your yard, i'll draw you up a nice mini, and try to make it so you save money on wood.

email is in profile i think

outsiderbmx
rider
Member # 9020

- posted 01-27-2017 06:24 PM      Profile for outsiderbmx   Author's Homepage   Email outsiderbmx         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I dunno man, it's already obnoxiously big, what I really need help with is coping. I've got two steel pipes I want to use, but don't know how to attach them.

I'm about $175 in and basically have a full 8ft wide mini minus the layers of ply and the decks (which im building from scrap for free)

possenier
rider
Member # 634

- posted 01-28-2017 03:21 AM      Profile for possenier   Author's Homepage   Email possenier         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i'm currently abroad for a few days, so i can't send you a detail plan, but i'll try yo explain the best way to attach a coping.

you need to go buy 3/8 threaded Rod in home depot, and some washers and bolts for it. that's all very cheap.

you cut the rod to pieces of about 8 inch, then you want them attached on the coping about every 3 ft, and the first one 1/2 ft from the end.
you mark where you need them and then drill 3/8 holes on the top of the coping. then insert these rods just a little in the whole, and weld them in place (if you can't weld, just ask around, this is a very easy thing, and if it's just 2 pieces of 8ft coping, a good welder will do the 2 copings in under 5 minutes.
place the coping on the deck, and mark exactly where the rods are.
now with a long 1/2 inch wood drill you drill in the 2by4 that is going to support the coping, under a 45° angle.
the place the rods in the holes, add a big washer to the back, and tighten with a bolt, and then add a second bolt for security.

if you have a week, i'll take some pictures, so you understand it a bit better, but this is the best way to add the coping. on bmxtrix.com i've added some details about the easy old school way to add coping. i haven't used that way in over 10 years, because the welding way is better, but if needed it still works.

outsiderbmx
rider
Member # 9020

- posted 01-28-2017 10:03 PM      Profile for outsiderbmx   Author's Homepage   Email outsiderbmx         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok, I think I get it. I can drill the holes at home and have the guys at work weld the rods on. That sounds easy enough. Then I just have to recess it so it doesn't affect the transition.
possenier
rider
Member # 634

- posted 01-29-2017 03:02 AM      Profile for possenier   Author's Homepage   Email possenier         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
for a 5ft the cooping can sit about 10mm above the deck (black line), and i would do between 8mm and 10mm above the top layer (blue)

look at this drawing
http://bmxtrix.com/how_to/build_ramps/coping.htm

i take this in account when i cut the sides, so the cooping will end at the exact place,
but with the rod technique you have some play, because you can add some scrap wood or metal under or behind the coping to make it end up sitting right. or take a little wood away if it needs to sink more.
don't tighten the coping to hard in the middle between the sides, as you can 'sink' the cooping to much easy there.

placing the cooping exact (as for me it needs to be within 1mm over the whole ramp) takes some practice, but if you do it like this, you will have some room for error, and find out that it's going to work.

outsiderbmx
rider
Member # 9020

- posted 03-25-2017 08:44 PM      Profile for outsiderbmx   Author's Homepage   Email outsiderbmx         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yo

https://www.instagram.com/p/BSFHK_zgSRf/?taken-by=outsiderbmx

outsiderbmx
rider
Member # 9020

- posted 03-26-2017 02:53 PM      Profile for outsiderbmx   Author's Homepage   Email outsiderbmx         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
https://www.instagram.com/p/BSHOIRTgIKZ/

Yo yo!

outsiderbmx
rider
Member # 9020

- posted 05-28-2017 04:58 AM      Profile for outsiderbmx   Author's Homepage   Email outsiderbmx         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I decided to dismantle one of my grind boxes and use the wood for a deck for the mini. I haven't used them as much as I thought I would, mainly because they're loud and right by my neighbor's window. The slanted 2-piece thing was cool and all, but a setup that size belongs at a skatepark, not my driveway. So I'll keep the nicer one, maybe change it a little. I like those boxes where the bottom is curved and you can flip it over.

Coping still a possibility, might just drill a big hole and a small hole and bolt it together without the welding. Danzig ramp is going to be my sub box/roof for my plywood shed.

Trying not to spend any more money and consolidate what I have. I'm in at little over $600, which really isn't bad. I'm already having a blast with the ramp, even without the decks. The bushes and trees in the backyard are growing out, making it nice and private back there. Neighbors don't seem to mind it and haven't complained once.

Wish I could put a tarp tent over it and skatelite it...

possenier
rider
Member # 634

- posted 05-28-2017 10:17 AM      Profile for possenier   Author's Homepage   Email possenier         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
since it's not that wide and you probably won't grind it, you really don't need coping. with a bmx bike it's a lot easier to air and return back in correct that it is on a skateboard without a coping.
also, it makes stall tricks easier.
i would go for a deck. at least 1 side. then maybe a wallride later on the other side.

and don't worry about the skatelite. it's to expensive if it's not a gouvernement run ramp.

as for tarp tent, you can run a cable from that tree to a long pole on the oposite side on the ramp and just put a big sheet of plastic over it.

outsiderbmx
rider
Member # 9020

- posted 05-28-2017 11:39 AM      Profile for outsiderbmx   Author's Homepage   Email outsiderbmx         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, something real simple, maybe with 4 metal poles on each corner. like 4 clear/white cheap tarps...

Got the box broken down, saved a lot of screws, gonna mod the other one and I should have enough for a 12'x 4' deck and a 1' deep x 1' tall x 8' long sub with a 1' top deck depth.

Gotta make a couple special templates for the sides of the sub so it wont topple off the back (like I did) and add another support underneath.

Hope to get a lot done today.

outsiderbmx
rider
Member # 9020

- posted 05-28-2017 08:08 PM      Profile for outsiderbmx   Author's Homepage   Email outsiderbmx         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
https://www.instagram.com/p/BUqBLOXgoyZ/?taken-by=outsiderbmx

https://www.instagram.com/p/BUqCLCnAlMG/?taken-by=outsiderbmx

Accomplished a fair bit. Just enough wood left to make the deck, but I'm running short on screws. [Frown]

bmxwar
rider
Member # 9229

- posted 05-30-2017 08:38 AM      Profile for bmxwar   Email bmxwar         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have screws. Come ride Lexington this Saturday and I'll donate to the cause.
Ruteger
rider
Member # 13774

- posted 05-30-2017 10:44 AM      Profile for Ruteger   Email Ruteger         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
probably too late but framing should be done out of nails, not screws

[ 05-30-2017, 10:44 AM: Message edited by: Ruteger ]

outsiderbmx
rider
Member # 9020

- posted 05-30-2017 06:05 PM      Profile for outsiderbmx   Author's Homepage   Email outsiderbmx         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ruteger:

Healthy mix of screws, nails, and lag bolts.

Tempting me Cody! I gotta get my truck's new wheel bearings put on this weekend, if that doesn't take long then I'm down. Truck is getting too wobbly on the highway.

possenier
rider
Member # 634

- posted 05-31-2017 01:53 AM      Profile for possenier   Author's Homepage   Email possenier         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

nails are mainly used to make it go faster, as people us a nailgun for the framing, and the under layers.

I never use nails. screws make for a better and longer lasting connection, and even after 10 years of use won't start to get loose.

outsiderbmx
rider
Member # 9020

- posted 05-31-2017 03:06 AM      Profile for outsiderbmx   Author's Homepage   Email outsiderbmx         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bad thing about nails is they come loose, bad thing about screws is the heads snap off. I've tried to use both where applicable.
Ruteger
rider
Member # 13774

- posted 05-31-2017 10:31 AM      Profile for Ruteger   Email Ruteger         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by possenier:
quote:

nails are mainly used to make it go faster, as people us a nailgun for the framing, and the under layers.

I never use nails. screws make for a better and longer lasting connection, and even after 10 years of use won't start to get loose.

bad thing about screws is that they don't have much shear strength. they shouldn't be used in the framing. for the decking you should use screws for their holding strength.
outsiderbmx
rider
Member # 9020

- posted 05-31-2017 03:41 PM      Profile for outsiderbmx   Author's Homepage   Email outsiderbmx         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
right. I told my neighbor it comes apart. LMAO it's never coming apart.
outsiderbmx
rider
Member # 9020

- posted 05-31-2017 04:04 PM      Profile for outsiderbmx   Author's Homepage   Email outsiderbmx         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
https://www.instagram.com/p/BUsop_kgC80/?taken-by=outsiderbmx

Deck made from leftovers. Gonna double layer the top with all my ply scraps and then brace everything with pallet slats. Finishing this weekend.

possenier
rider
Member # 634

- posted 06-01-2017 01:34 AM      Profile for possenier   Author's Homepage   Email possenier         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by possenier:
quote:

bad thing about screws is that they don't have much shear strength. they shouldn't be used in the framing. for the decking you should use screws for their holding strength.
it's just for the framing they are the most important, good screws (and using them good) makes the 2by4 be pulled tight against sides, what makes for a way stronger frame.
i use spax screws from germany, and i've never had a head break on a frame. i've had heads break on skatelight sheets when i got the wrong screws that where not made for outdoor.
it's like with everything in life, you get what you pay for...

outsiderbmx
rider
Member # 9020

- posted 06-01-2017 03:23 AM      Profile for outsiderbmx   Author's Homepage   Email outsiderbmx         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah I went one step above drywall screws because I had those snap all the time.
outsiderbmx
rider
Member # 9020

- posted 06-02-2017 04:58 PM      Profile for outsiderbmx   Author's Homepage   Email outsiderbmx         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
https://www.instagram.com/p/BU2E9CTAhDj/

Gonna put one more diagonal brace right in the middle for added strength. But it's pretty stout.

Two videos at the end show before braces and after.

Putting the top on tomorrow. Gonna be 3/4" thick ply. Then i'll use up the rest of my scraps on reinforcing the fuck outta the back side of the subbox. No #backrailfufanus on the deck side because I don't want to spend the money making a railing strong enough. So, just dont fall off that side...

[ 06-02-2017, 05:03 PM: Message edited by: outsiderbmx ]

outsiderbmx
rider
Member # 9020

- posted 06-08-2017 08:00 PM      Profile for outsiderbmx   Author's Homepage   Email outsiderbmx         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
https://www.instagram.com/p/BU-q-xJAc7d/

Done for now. Sub box really churches it up. Clips soon.

Ruteger
rider
Member # 13774

- posted 06-09-2017 02:11 PM      Profile for Ruteger   Email Ruteger         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
nice!
alaskan
rider
Member # 9911

- posted 06-10-2017 03:01 PM      Profile for alaskan   Author's Homepage   Email alaskan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
needs a subbox/wallride

how can you even bmx

how can she slap?

[ 06-10-2017, 03:07 PM: Message edited by: alaskan ]

outsiderbmx
rider
Member # 9020

- posted 06-11-2017 07:29 AM      Profile for outsiderbmx   Author's Homepage   Email outsiderbmx         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How many weeds have you smoked boy?

The sub box is wallrideable, probably not by me tho...

All times are CT (US)  
Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | bmxboard