bmxboard

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» bmxboard   » Flatland   » Flatland Talk

Author Topic: Flatland Talk
j0e
rider
Member # 1911

- posted 03-29-2015 04:44 PM      Profile for j0e   Author's Homepage   Email j0e         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I first started riding BMX because I wanted to be a flatlander. I'd caught the flat portion of an X-Trials on TV, and seen some pictures of guys like Andrew Faris, Trevor Meyer, Day Smith, Jason Brown, Leo Dumlao, Chase Gouin, and Phil Dolan in the issues of Plus! that were in my elementary school library, and I was psyched.
I got a GT Performer for Christmas, and spent at least a year in my parent's garage trying to learn the rudiments of flat, like front yards, back yards, etc. I was terrible at it, but I've always had a predisposition towards tedium (and and what's shaping up to be a lifelong aversion to doing anything remotely scary), so it was just my speed.
I eventually made friends with some dirtbag riders in my town and started riding other stuff with them, which effectively ended my short flatland career. I still think about it often, and every time I see someone riding flat at the clocktower here in SF I watch for as long as I can before someone honks at me. I know the big thing these days is the super fluid flowing lines and tony brakeless bikes, but I sorta miss scuffing and rear brakes and standing platforms and gyro pads.

The real reason I mad this thread is because the flatland Wikipedia is embarrassingly terrible and someone besides me should fix it up:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flatland_BMX

Also this Day Smith video is ill
https://vimeo.com/18305638

outsiderbmx
rider
Member # 9020

- posted 01-05-2017 05:25 AM      Profile for outsiderbmx   Author's Homepage   Email outsiderbmx         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought the wiki wasn't bad for the average person..

I started bmx for flatland too. 6th or 7th grade for me. Dudes were (and still are) wizards to me. One kid in my neighborhood did time machines, mega spins, spinning death trucks, all the pro tricks at the time.

Adding Paul Osicka, Nate Penonzek, BRIAN TUNNEY, and Martti Kuoppa to the list of people I think are rad.

I'm looking at pegs right now. Scared I'm gonna go down another rabbit hole with the punisher and try to make it a light weight flat bike. But if I got some pegs I could totally start practicing a few things...

Day Smith is forever ill.

All times are CT (US)  
Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | bmxboard